Monday, May 5, 2008

T Pushups

Push ups are one of the most underrated exercises out there.

You'd be suprised how many people are unable to do even five perfect reps.

(And as a side note, it gets me hot under the collar when someone whines about being unable to do push ups. Get over your bad self and start working. Now!)

If you are momentarily too weak to reach your target number of reps, use a simpler variation.

Beginners on the pushup start by pushing themselves away from a wall.

They progress to pushing themselves off of a bench.

And then they move on to regular pushups.

From there we can start elevating the feet, or using an unstable surface, or adding load with chains, bands, or a weight vest.

Plus, there are endless variations.

At Starbucks the other day, I wrote down sixty-three variations, and that's without taking into account narrow, medium, and wide hand positions, or methods of loading.

Listen up, ladies: Push ups will NEVER make you bulky. Never. (Strength training won't make you bulky either, unless you specifically train and eat for it.)

Here is a great push up to begin incorporating into your program:


The T Pushup


Start

Finish

Exercise Description:

Start:

- Hands under shoulders
- Weight on feet and hands

Motion:

- Lower body until almost touching ground
- Explode upwards
- Put weight on left hand
- Reach towards sky with right hand
- Land and repeat on left side

Want to make it tougher?

Hold some dumbbells and do T Pushups.

Not tough enough for you?

Trade in the hex-headed dumbbells for some round ones.

Have fun!

Want more, do more, BE more,

~Luke

PS - Don't forget that the next session of the Metabolism Makeover program starts a week from today!

Here's what Sonia H. Miller had to say six weeks in....

“Being overweight I have tried many, many things to lose weight. You name it, I’ve tried it.....Nutri-System, Weight Watchers, the latest diet pills and just plain starvation. I tried all of these and more hoping that I could loose weight and have the body and energy I wanted.

My weight loss journey had drug on for a little more than 10 years. Feelings of hopelessness grew after trying all of these things and discovering that none of them worked for me. Even though I initially I lost some weight, I never felt good or had the energy to take care of my son or enjoy activities with my family. I always felt hungry, deprived and weak. The most devastating effect was after each weight loss strategy, the weight always came back... along with extra 5-10 pounds of weight. I was disgusted with myself and ready to accept the thought that weight loss was just not for me.

Then I found the Metabolism Makeover. Each class helped me to realize that my goals could be achieved by setting realistic goals, making a conscious decision to take action and understanding how the foods I was putting into my body affected my ability to see results. After 6 weeks into the course, I finally started seeing - and feeling - the results that I have always wanted for myself. Along with my commitment to add cardiovascular exercise and weight resistant training to my weekly routine, I finally have the energy, knowledge and the confidence to reach my long term weight loss goals. Thank you.”

No comments: