Thursday, January 8, 2009

Carson City Goal Setting With Sir Edmund Hillary

"What are your goals?"

This is what I shoot back at clients when they ask me a question.

I do this because you need to view the answers through the lens of your goals

What the heck does that mean

Well.... If you're an endurance racer looking to run in the Badwater Ultra, then yes, running is a good exercise.

Badwater Ultra: 135 Miles in DEATH VALLEY

But... If you're a mom looking to lose forty pounds, running is a horrible choice.

Look at information through the lens of your goals.

"Hey Luke, do I have to eat breakfast?"

"And what are your goals?"

"Uummm, to lose fat and fit into a size 8."

"Then yes, you have to eat breakfast if you want to raise your metabolism, lose fat, and drop 4 dress sizes."


What about NOT having goals? What happens then?

Usually nothing. If you don't want change, don't set a goal.

Why don't people set goals? Because having a goal usually means some sort of WORK. And work isn't what we were looking for.

I agree, having goals can be a pain.

When you don't have a goal you can just "do your best" and you have an easy cop out when I ask how it's going.

Not having a goal lets you do whatever you feel like right this moment, instead of what would be best for you in the long-term.

But here's the deal: to accomplish anything worthwhile, you NEED to have a goal.

Listen to this little example....

Have you ever heard of Sir Edmund Hillary? He was the first westerner to climb Mount Everest.

Sir Edmund Hillary

Do you think he had a goal to climb that mountain?

Or do you think when he came down he said, "Well... I was just out wandering around and look where I ended up. Honestly, I'm as surprised as you."

No, he had a goal. (A goal of 29,029 feet to be exact...)

Now, your goal might not be to climb Everest, but whatever it is, you're not going to reach it just "wandering around."

Make a plan and follow it. Find a proven plan and follow it.

Whichever path you choose, be sure to have a goal that you're aiming towards.

Goals are what keep us on track when the going gets tough.

Goals are what inspire you to become more so that you can achieve more.

Goals are dreams with deadlines.

I'd like to end this post with a quote from my main man, Jim Rohn:

"If you go to work on your goals, your goals will go to work on you. If you go to work on your plan, your plan will go to work on you. Whatever good things we build end up building us."

Have a great day!

All the best,

~Luke Wold

PS - Try this: Grab a pen and pad. Write this sentence: "In 2009, I am finally going to ______."

Then fill in the blank. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Now, fast forward to next New Year's Eve... You're writing in your journal, reflecting on the past year. What will you write?

"This year was great! I feel great and now fit into my_____. I went for a vacation to________. And I exceeded my expectations by________."

So what did you write down? What are your aspirations for this year?

Have a great day!

No comments: