Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How To Keep Your Kids Fit

When I wrote this post: Everbody Is Too Fat To Join The Army, I was expecting some negative feedback along the lines of:

"How DARE he tell me that my habits are affecting my kids? He's not even a parent!"

Hey, I call 'em like I see 'em.



And the truth is that fat kids usually have fat parents.

And check this out:

"I'm a teacher in a public middle school. Until recently, I'd eat whatever was available - fast foods, chips, cookies - and my students often asked me for samples or leftovers.

Slowly, I noticed that they started bringing lunches similar to what I was eating.

Since I knew they were just copying me, I decided to choose my lunch based on what I wanted to see them eat (fruit, vegetables, water, wheat bread).

It took a while, but eventually they started asking for my carrot and celery sticks.



Before I knew it, they were eating the same healthy food I was enjoying. These better choices have spread to my breakfast, dinner, and snack meals - and I've lost 40 pounds.

My students have noticed, and we now take walks after out healthy lunch.

I've come to realize that with kids, you must lead by example. Actions speak louder than words
."

- Velma Greene, Harpers Ferry, WV

That's great, Velma!

Now here's the deal:

PE is being cut out of schools.

Sports are very competitive.

But you're still the parent and what you do is what your kids will do.

How fit are you?

Do you eat healthy, wholesome foods?

When you eat junk food, your kids automatically assume it's okay.

When you drive through MacDonald's for dinner, your kids automatically assume it's okay.


When you plop down in front of the T.V. all night, your kids automatically assume it's okay.

And that's the reality.

This has nothing to do with PE in school or the competitive nature of youth sports.

You run your household and you need to be the one laying down the rules.

Moreover, YOU need to be leading the charge.

~ Lucas Wold

PS - If you're unsure of where you should start, send me an email and I'll be glad to help. My address is LDWold (at) Gmail.com

PPS - What does former president Bill Clinton have to say about youth obesity?



"... This is the single greatest crisis facing our society today."

-Bill Clinton


Whoa, strong words!

No comments: